Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Read: 25 Quotes from November 9 by Colleen Hoover That Will Make You Think About Life and Love

I'm currently obsessed with this book by Colleen Hoover. This is actually the first book I've read from the author and I absolutely adore it. Well, I can't say I finished it in one sitting though. I just have an e-Pub copy of it and these eyes need rest from the radiation. LOL! 

I don't want to spoil it but I'm posting all of my favorite lines from the book. Sorry I can't help it. I would give this book a whooping perfect 10 rating, honestly. I love it from the moment I laid my eyes on its cover. Okay, I'm kidding. I don't have any idea what to expect from this book, but I saw a lot of Instagram posts with it. So yes, I dived into the bandwagon and never did I regret my decision. It's just that, right now, I don't have anyone to discuss the story with, hence I'm just going to blog about it. 

*Seriously, where can we find this kind of love? Is this even real? Okay, it's fiction, you guys! (trying to convince myself)

Quotes:

1. While Fallon and Ben are talking about her scars,
Fallon: One of the things that I always try to remind myself is that everyone has scars, a lot of them even worse than mine. The only difference is that mine are visible and most people's aren't.

2. While Fallon is trying to justify to herself her decision to move to New York,
".. Comfort can sometimes be a crutch when it comes to figuring out your life. Goals are achieved through discomfort and hard work. They aren't achieved when you hide out in a place where you're nice and cozy."

3. When Ben whispers against Fallon's lips that quote from Dylan Thomas that reminds him of her

Ben: I have longed to move away but am afraid; Some life, yet unspent, might explode."

4. When Ben tells Fallon that she's the only girlfriend he has and she's moving across the country

Ben: Go easy on me, Fallon. My heart is fragile.

5. When Ben and Fallon sees each other for the first time after their agreement,
"I'm not sure what bothers me more. The fact that we seem to have picked up right where we left off last year or the fact that last year wasn't a fluke."

6. When Fallon was telling Ben how he made her feel
Fallon: You made me feel like the scars were part of what made me pretty. And I've never once felt like that, nor did I think I'd ever feel like that.

7. When Fallon asks Ben to fictionalize her character, to make her appear pretty
Ben: It pisses me off that you allow something so trivial to define such a huge part of you. I can't make you pretty in this book, because that would be an insult. You're fucking beautiful. And you're funny. And the only times I'm not completely enamored by you are the moments you're feeling sorry for yourself. Because I don't know if you're realized this yet, but you're alive, Fallon. And every time you look in the mirror, you don't have the right to hate what you see. Because you survived when a lot of people don't get that lucky. So from now on when you think about your scars, you aren't allowed to resent them. You're going to embrace them, because you're lucky to be on this earth to see them. And any guy you allow to touch your scars better thank you for that privilege.

8. While they are parked at the airport parking lot preparing themselves for another goodbye
Ben: I thought I was tougher than a word, but I just discovered that having to say goodbye to you is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

9. While they are cuddled in each other's arms,
"I like this part of sex, I think. The aftermath. The quiet. Still feeling connected after the physical connection is no longer there."

10. When Fallon is about to climb the cab and leave for the airport,

".. She's not the kind of girl you choose your battles for. She's the kind of girl you fight to death for."

11. While they are still arguing, Ben doesn't want to let Fallon go without giving him any assurance of their love
Ben: This is real life, and in the real world you have to bust your ass for that happy ever after! When you find love, you take it. You grab it with both hands and you do everything in you power not to let it go. You can't just walk away from it and expect it to linger until you're ready for it."

12. While Fallon was trying to justify her decision

Fallon: I want you to follow your passion instead of your heart.

13. Ben replies thinking,
"I think maybe she'll realize how fucked up her priorities are, because she's my passion. The book was just an excuse."

14. While Fallon was trying to push away the thought of Ben,
"I would never want to be with anyone because I had to beg. I don't even want to be with anyone if there's even a remote possibility that there's a third party at play. Love should be between two people, and if it isn't, I'd rather bow out than take part in the race."

15. While Ben was looking at Fallon, with his manuscript on her hands,
"Why didn't you tell me that the foundation you taught me to stand on is made from quicksand?"

16. When Fallon was blaming Ben
Fallon: Benton James Kessler. You do not love me. Never speak those words again. Not to me - not to anyone. Those three words are a disgrace when they fall from your mouth.

17. When Fallon felt betrayed, 
"I'm the most devastated when I think about all the times he made my scars feel beautiful, while never once admitting that he was actually the one who put them there."

18. Ben's mother's favorite quote from Dylan Thomas
"Though Lovers be lost, love shall not."

19. Ben's interpretation of the quote,
".. Just because two people stopped loving one another didn't mean their love never existed."

20. When Ben was asking her mother how to know when you're really in love with someone, his mother answers,
Ben's mother: When I say you just know, it's because you will. You won't question it. You don't wonder if what you feel is actually love, because when it is, you'll be absolutely terrified that you're in it. And when that happens, your priorities will change. You won't think about yourself and your own happiness. You'll only think about that person, and how you would do anything to see them happy. Even if it meant walking away from them and sacrificing your own happiness for theirs.. That's what love is, Ben. Love is sacrifice.. When you're willing to give up the things that mean the most to you just to see someone else happy, that's real love.

21. While Ben's mother is trying to explain why she got a tattoo
Ben's mother: I had learned how to love selflessly. It was the first time I wanted more happiness for the person I was with than I wanted for myself.

22. While Ben thinks about her mother,
"I've never loved someone I hate so much, and I've never hated someone I love so much."

23. While Fallon thinks about inviting her father for breakfast,
"We don't get to choose our parents, and parents don't get to choose their children. But we do get to choose how hard we're willing to work in order to make the best of what we're given."

24. In Ben's letter to Fallon,
".. I can't dwell on all the things I should have done differently, when to me this was our fate. We were drawn to each other. We made each other happy. And I know without a doubt there were several times during the past few years that we were madly in love with each other at the same time. Not everyone experiences that Fallon, and I'd be lying if I said I regretted it."

".. But anyone who sees your scars before they see you doesn't deserve you. I hope you remember that and believe that. A body is simply a package for the true gifts inside. And you are full of gifts. Selflessness, kindness, compassion. All the things that matter. Youth and beauty fade. Human decency doesn't."

25. "If lies were written, I would erase them. But they are spoken; etched within. With convalesced truth, I scream out my atonement. Let me repent against your skin." (Benton James Kessler)

Okay, so I guess I lied a little. That was full of spoilers, wasn't it? LOL! Still, I promise if you read November 9, you'll find it hard to say goodbye to the book as well.

Get the e-book copy from this site: http://ebook.bike/authors/43620

Have fun reading! Tell me what your favorite quotes are. 


2 comments:

  1. I've been seeing this in the feed of the book bloggers in Instagram too. A love story indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. Got really curious so I read it myself. It's a really beautiful love story.

      Thanks for dropping by, though this reply is so late :)

      Delete